What’s the difference with this release since 2020.3 in august 2020 is:
- ZSH is the default shell now
As ZSH shell was introduced in the previous update and it was planned to replace the BASH shell as the default shell in the upcoming update.
However, ZSH shell is default only for desktop and cloud but for the ARM, containers ,NetHunter and WSL BASH is still the default, which might also be replaced with ZSH in the upcoming release.
BASH shell theme makeover:
Offensive Security also changed the BASH shell prompt that is similar to the ZSH shell prompt in terms of design and appearance but in functions ZSH still manages to top the list for hackers.
AWS EC2 Cloud Image Refresh
Kali Linux has been on AWS since 1.0.6. Over the years, Kali Linux have done various refreshes of our build-scripts to produce the cloud images. In Kali linux 2020.4, Developers created a new metapackage, named kali-linux-headless, and included it which only has the default set of command line tools. This came after users started missing kali-linux-default metapackage.
Upon doing the refresh, we have worked with AWS to get Kali Linux added to “GovCloud“. Which may be useful to a certain audience. With how the accounts were setup, we have had to start from fresh. As a result, we have a new marketplace entry.
Note: The default login for AWS EC2 username is “kali” (not the standard “ec2-user”).
Kali Linux 2020.2 comes packed with numerous new tools:
- Metasploit Framework v6 (a tool for developing and executing exploits against remote target machines)
- CertGraph (a tool to crawl the graph of certificate Alternate Names)
- Apple bleee (a tool for getting info about nearby iPhones – device name, OS version, phone number, etc. – by sniffing Bluetooth traffic)
- dnscat2 (a tool for creating an encrypted C&C channel over DNS)
- FinalRecon (an automatic web reconnaissance tool)
- goDoH (a Command and Control framework that uses DNS-over-HTTPS)
- hostapd-mana (a rogue access point first presented at DEFCON 22)
- Whatmask (a small C program that will help you with network settings)
Win-KeX 2.5 includes a new “Enhanced Session Mode (–esm)”, which works like the “Window” mode but uses the Remote Deskop Protocol (RDP) & client native to Windows. This mode will allow users of “Windows on ARM” devices to use Win-KeX and it adds sharpness to Win-KeX on HiDPI devices.
We have also added a “–ip” option to address a bug in WoA causing massive packet losses when using “localhost”. To start Win-KeX with sound on arm devices, just type:
The “–ip” parameter has one little downside though: Win-KeX asks for the Kali Linux user password when launched for the first time and stores it in the Windows credentials store. Since the IP address changes after every reboot, you will be prompted again. This is a known WSL2 bug and we’ll expect it to be fixed soon so that we can drop the “–ip” parameter and we’ll never have to enter the password again.
Last but not least Kali Linux have tweaked how we handle our wallpaper packages:
- kali-wallpapers-all ~ Give me all the wallpapers
- kali-wallpapers-2019.4 ~ Default for Kali Linux between 2019.4 and 2020.3
- kali-wallpapers-2020.4 ~ Default for Kali Linux between 2020.4 and onwards
- kali-wallpapers-legacy ~ Nostalgic value
Tag:how to update kali linux 2020, how to update kali linux in vmware, kali linux download 2020, kali linux download for windows 10, kali linux download for windows 10 64 bit, kali linux full update and upgrade command, kali linux update 2020.4 release date, kali linux update command, kali-linux-2020-updated, update kali linux 2020 4.6.0, update kali linux 2020 command line, update kali linux tools